Our merry little Christmas 2021 is very near and all the Christmas magic is in the air. Tis the season for rum cake and Santa Claus. Christmas day feels incomplete without these mouthwatering rum fruit cakes.
Rum cake is among the most licious and famous traditional cakes all around the world. However, you can make this cake recipe for a variety of different events and festivals, and believe us when we say it’s genuinely toothsome. Here’s how to make this classic cake at home, with simple instructions.
But before moving ahead to the recipe, we want to tell those who don’t know, that you need to soak the fruits properly for one month or a year, in your preferred alcohol like rum, brandy, or sherry for that succulent cake. Also, you have to use the same rum while preparing the cake which you have used before to soak fruits till Christmas.
Ingredients for Christmas rum fruit cake
1 cup fine chopped dates.
½ cup fine chopped apricot.
½ cup fine chopped Prunes.
½ cup fine chopped cherries.
½ cup kishmish (raisin / Sultanas).
1 cup raisins or black currants.
1 cup fine chopped Nuts like cashew, walnuts, almonds, and pista.
1 cup dark rum or any alcohol which you prefer.
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour or maida for tossing dry fruits.
Before moving ahead to the recipe, we have to prepare caramel for rum fruit cake. Here are the instructions.
Steps for making caramel
½ cup white sugar
½ cup normal water
Heat the sugar in a saucepan under low heat. It will now begin to crystallise. Continue to stir until it begins to dissolve. Continue to cook on low heat until it reaches a lovely dark colour. Remove from the stove and add the water, heat until the sugar dissolves again. Set aside to cool.
How to add rum in fruit cake
- In this cake, you can also include any nuts of your preference, but you may not add any nuts too if you don’t like them.
- Simply mix the rum or any other alcohol of your preference with the dried fruits and soak them together.
- Add 1 cup black rum, you can increase or reduce as desired.
Rum fruit cake recipe
- At first, preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Take two pans for baking then line it with vegetable parchment paper.
- Butter all the sides and bottom of the baking pan and put it aside.
- Place the sugar in a saucepan over low heat. It’ll begin to crystallise then. Continue to stir and it will begin to melt gradually. Continue to cook on low heat until it gives a nice colour and becomes dark. Remove from the heat and add the water, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. Allow cooling before serving.
- Take 2 tablespoons of flour and toss the dry fruits in that.
- Take baking powder, flour, baking soda, salt, spice powders and sieve them.
- Beat the sugar, butter, vanilla with an electric beater and make a smooth paste.
- Beat three eggs till it becomes creamy.
- Then, add half of the flour mix and half of the caramel, fold gently into the batter.
- Repeat the step for the other half.
- Put the mixture in the baking pan and let it bake for 40- 45 minutes.
- Let it cool after baking, invert it and remove the parchment paper.
- Slice it and serve.