India is set to celebrate 75 glorious years of independence on August 15. As the whole country is gearing up for the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, it’s time to add some flavour to your 76th Independence Day celebrations. And what’s better than tricolour dishes?
This Independence Day, ditch the regular Samosa, Ghevar, and bread pakodas and indulge in these recipes that are inspired by the Indian Flag. Instead of just spending the day watching parades, flag-hoisting ceremonies, and cultural events and gobbling down the usual home-cooked meals, it’s time to try something new, unique, and, of course, delicious this year.
We have come up with tricolour dishes and that too without fire so that you can involve your children in this activity and also inculcate a sense of patriotism in them.
- Two tablespoons of Kesar syrup (for orange colour)
- 3 cups curd (for white colour)
- Two tablespoons of Khus syrup (for green colour)
- One tablespoon of cardamom powder
- Three tablespoon sugar
- Start with whisking the curd. Add sugar and cardamom powder to the curd.
- To create the saffron colour of the flag, mix curd and Kesar syrup and to get the green colour, mix the curd and Khus syrup separately.
- For the white colour keep the curd as is; don’t mix anything with it.
- To make your favourite beverage tricolored, pour the Khus lassi into the glass first, then the plain white lassi, and then the Kesar lassi towards the end.
- To serve chilled, garnish with pistachios.
2. Tricolour Sandwich
- Brown bread slices 8
- Carrots grated 1 cup
- Orange layer
- White bread slices 4
- Eggless mayonnaise 2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Green layer
- Paneer (cottage cheese) grated 1 cup
- Green chutney 4 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Mix the carrots, salt, and eggless mayonnaise for the orange layer.
- Mix the cottage cheese, salt, and green chutney to make the green layer. On the worktop, place a slice of brown bread.
- Spread the green layer over it uniformly. Put a slice of white bread on top of it. Top the white bread slice with a brown slice after evenly spreading the orange layer over it. Gently press.
- Cut each sandwich into three fingers and serve immediately.
3. Tricolour Cookies
- All Purpose Flour – 2 Cups
- Unsalted butter/ Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 1 Cup
- Powdered Sugar – 1/2 Cup
- Vanilla Essence – 1 Teaspoon
- Baking Powder – 1/4 Teaspoon
- Food Color Powder (green and orange) – a pinch or two
- Milk – 3/4 Teaspoon
- Nuts of your choice – for garnishing
- Take butter and sugar in a bowl and mix it using a spoon or whisk until it becomes fluffy. Add vanilla essence to it and mix well.
- In a separate bowl sieve flour and add baking powder to it. Mix it well.
- Now add the butter and sugar mixture and mix well. Bring everything together to form the dough. Do not knead.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal parts.
- Take about 1/4 teaspoon of milk in 2 small bowls, add orange food color in one and green in the second. Mix the color well with milk.
- Now add the green color mixture to one part of the dough and mix well until the dough becomes green.
- Do the same with orange color liquid and another part of the dough.
- Keep the third part of the dough plain but add 1/4 teaspoon of plain milk to it so that the dough becomes soft.
- Cover and keep all the dough parts for Tri color cookies in the refrigerator for an hour.
- After an hour remove the Tri-Colour Cookies dough. On a flat surface, sprinkle some flour (or place butter paper) and roll out all the dough one by one.
- Carefully keep the rolled green dough on a chopping board. Place the white part over the green one and then the orange one on the top of the white. Press them lightly.
- Using a knife cut the dough into rectangular pieces.
- Take one rectangular piece at a time, and press them a little. Place the chopped nut in the middle (like Ashoka Chakra).
- Place some Tri Colour cookies on a greased baking tray and bake them in preheated oven at 180 degrees for 12 – 15 minutes. Baking time varies from oven to oven. Keep a check on the color to know when it is done.
- Once it is done, remove it from the oven and let it set for 3-4 minutes. After that place them on a wire rack and let them cool completely.
- Repeat the process until all the Tri-Colour cookies are baked.
- Store them in an air-tight container and enjoy them whenever you want.