Mahashivratri 2023: Date, shubh muhurat, puja vidhi, all you need to know
Mahashivratri is one of the auspicious festivals in Hindus. This festival holds special significance as devotees worship lord Shiva with much fervour and zeal.
Mahashivratri, known as Great Night of Shiva, is observed annually on the 14th day of the dark fortnight of the Hindu month of Phalguna, typically falling in late February or early March. Devotees keep fast, do prayers and medidate to seek the blessings of Mahadeva.
From date, shubh muhurat to puja vidhi, here is all you need to know about the grand festival.
Mahashivrati 2023: Date
This year, Mahashivratri will be celebrated on February 18.
Mahashivratri 2023: Shubh Muhurat
According to Drik Panchang, here are the auspicious timings for Mahashivaratri.
- Nishita Kaal Puja Time: 12:09 AM to 12:00 AM, Feb 19
- Maha Shivaratri Parana Time: 6:56 AM to 3:24 PM, Feb 19
- Ratri First Prahar Puja Time: 06:13 pm, Feb 18 to 09:24 pm, Feb 19
- Ratri Second Prahar Puja Time: 09:24 pm, Feb 18 to 12:35 am, Feb 19
- Ratri Third Prahar Puja Time: 12:35 am, Feb 19 to 03:46 am, Feb 19
- Ratri Fourth Prahar Puja Time: 03:46 am, Feb 19 to 06:56 am, Feb 19
Mahashivratri 2023: Puja Vidhi
- Apply vermilion on Shivalingam after the bath.
- Bath Shivalingam in water, milk, and bel leaves.
- Donate various fruits during worship for longevity.
- Burn incense sticks for prosperity.
- Light lamps as it represents knowledge.
- Make vibhuti, which is also known as Bhasm, a sacred ash using dried cow dung.
- Other items for the puja inculde flowers, rose water, yogurt, ghee, honey, sugar, water and sandalwood.
Devotees should only eat once the day before Shivratri Vratam, most likely on Trayodashi.
After finishing the morning rituals on the day of Shivratri, worshippers are instructed to make a Sankalp vowing to fast the entire day and eat the following day.
Devotees should also take a bath on Shivratri day in the evening before doing Shiva Puja or going to the temple.
Shiva Puja must be performed at night, and devotees must break their fast the next morning after taking a bath.