Indian documentary Writing With Fire, directed by Rintu Thomas, has reached the next level in the documentary feature category at Oscars 2022. The Academy of Motion Picture of Arts and Sciences has announced shortlists for the 94th Academy Awards on Wednesday, December 22.
On the other hand, Tamil drama Koozhangal is now out of the race in the Best International Feature Film Category as it failed to bag a position in the Top 15. Directed by Vinothraj PS, Koozhangal revolves around an alcoholic abusive husband who along with his young son sets out to find her wife.
Indian documentary Writing With Fire gets entry
Rintu Thomas expressed her elation after her documentary Writing With Fire got shortlisted in the category in which 138 films were eligible. Taking it to Twitter, she wrote that it is a great moment for the entire team behind the indie Indian documentary and also for the Indian documentary community.
Writing With Fire revolves around an ambitious group of Dalit women who runs a newspaper. The documentary follows their journey of how they stood relevant after their team switched to print to digital.
Check full list of Oscars 2022 shortlists here
Best Documentary Feature
- Ascension (MTV Documentary Films) – dir. Jessica Kingdon
- Attica (Showtime) – dir. Stanley Nelson
- Billie Eilish: The World’s a Little Blurry (Apple Original Films) – dir. RJ Cutler
- Faya Dayi (Janus Films) – dir. Jessica Beshir
- The First Wave (National Geographic) – dir. Matthew Heineman
- Flee (Neon) – dir. Jonas Poher Rasmussen
- In the Same Breath (HBO Documentary Films) – dir. Nanfu Wang
- Julia (Sony Pictures Classics) – dir. Julie Cohen, Betsy West
- President (Greenwich Entertainment) – dir. Camilla Nielsson
- Procession (Netflix) – dir. Robert Greene
- The Rescue (National Geographic) – dir. Jimmy Chin, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi
- Simple as Water (HBO Documentary Films) – dir. Megan Mylan
- Summer of Soul (…Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised) (Hulu/Searchlight Pictures) – dir. Quest Love
- The Velvet Underground (Apple Original Films) – dir. Todd Haynes
- Writing with Fire (Music Box Films) – dir. Rintu Thomas