The auspicious Hindu festival honoring Goddess Durga, Shardiya Navratri is round the corner. And this year Sharad Navratri will be celebrated on September 26 till October 5 with Vijay Dashami and Durga Visarjan.
For the unversed, the Shardiya Navratri in the Hindu month of Ashwin, which is the most important of all Navratris (Magha, Chaitra and Ashadha). And for these 9 days, devotees will practice fasting as each day will be dedicated to the celebration of goddess Durga’s all 9 avatars (Shailaputri, Brahmacharini, Chandraghanta, Kushmanda, Skandamata, Katyayani, Kaalaratri, Mahagauri, and Durga).
The one who practice fasting do it with a belief that they will be bestowed with Durga’s blessings and miracles. But there are also several other facts that are needed to keep in mind before perfoming the rituals and fasting. Here here are some of the Dos and Don’ts regarding Shardiya Navratri.
- Navratri is all about spiritual self-realization, awareness, with some self-discipline and self-control. hence, it is crucial to carry out penance or austerities.
- Every devotee should respect woman in their lives as this celebration of Navratri, nine forms of Goddess Durga is worshipped.
- It is said that during Navratri early bathing followed by puja rituals can brighten your luck.
- For the ones who are planning to light akhand jyot for the Goddess Durga, make sure to keep it in the southwest direction. For the ones who can’t manage an Akhand jyot, should get one that will last throughout the entire night.
- Instead of regular refines salt use rock salt for the nine days of Shardiye Navratri.
- Devotees should follow the colors of Navratri.
- Any one who plans to keep or not keep fast should also avoid alcohol and tobacco during this time of the year.
- In a house where Navratri is being celebrated, consumption of non-veg is also prohibited.
- Bhog or Prashad for Goddess Durga should not consist garlic and onions.