Navratri is one of the most auspicious festivals for Hindus. The festival is devoted to Goddess Durga who fought the demon Mahishasura for nine days and nights. The festival shows the victory of good over evil.
Navratri is celebrated twice a year. Chaitra Navratri is observed during the months of March – April, and Shardiya Navratri during the months of September – October. This year, Shardiya Navratri is observed from September 26 to October 4.
Here is all you need to know about the puja vidhi, puja timings and how to do puja at home during Navratri.
Shardiya Navratri 2022: Shubh Muhurat
Start date: September 26, 2022 at 3:23 am
End date: September 27, 2022 at :08 am
Shardiya Navratri 2022: Kalash Installation Shubh Muhurat
Start date: 6:17 am to 7:55 am (Total duration- 1 hour 38 minutes)
Abhijit Muhurat: 11:54 am to 12:42 pm (Total duration- 48 minutes)
Samagri needed for Kalash installation
Kalash, Mauli, 5 Mango leaves, Roli, Gangajal, Coin, Wheat
Samagri needed to make Jawaar
Earthen pot, pure clay, wheat or barley, clean cloth to place on the soil, clean water and Kalava.
Samagri needed to light Akhand Jyoti
Brass or earthen lamp, ghee, cotton wick, roli or vermilion, rice
Puja Samagri for 9 days
Devotees perform puja for nine days during Navratri. For this, you need havan kund, mango wood, black sesame, roli kumkum, akshat (rice), barley, incense, panchmeva, ghee, Kamal Gatta, pair of cloves, guggal, lotus gutta, betel nut, kapoor, bhog. Havan, pure water (for aamchan).
Ingredients needed for Mata Rani’s Shringhar
Mata Rani should be adorned during Navratri. What all you need- Red dupatta, bangles, perfume, vermilion, mahavar, bindi, mehndi, kajal, toe ornament, garland, anklet, blush and other makeup items.
Shardiya Navratri Puja Vidhi
- Wake up early in the morning of Shardiya Navratri, take a bath, and wear clean clothes.
- On the first day, make swastikas on both sides of the main entrance of the house and put a pylon of mango and Ashoka leaves on the main door.
- Then, make a swastika sign by laying a post there.
- After that, put the rice and roli on Goddess Durga’s forehead and then install the idol of Mata Rani
- Worship Goddess Durga with all rituals.
- The Kalash should be kept in the North and North-East direction i.e. Northeast and decorate the Mata’s post.
- While placing the coconut on the Kalash, make sure the face of the coconut should not face downwards.
- Apply Ashoka leaves around the Kalash and then wrap a dupatta on a coconut and tie it with Kalava.
- Now, worship Ambe Maa by lighting a lamp.