For the best experience, open
https://m.apnlive.com
on your mobile browser.
Advertisement

Gautam Navlakha case: Director Vivek Agnihotri issues apology to Delhi HC

Agnihotri said in his affidavit that he had removed his tweets that criticised the judge.
04:04 PM Dec 06, 2022 IST | APN Live
gautam navlakha case  director vivek agnihotri issues apology to delhi hc
Advertisement

Filmmaker Vivek Agnihotri on Tuesday has expressed regret to the Delhi High Court for criticising Justice S Murlidhar for releasing activist Gautam Navlakha on bail.

Advertisement

In connection with his comments against Justice S. Muralidhar, who was a member of the Bench that placed activist Gautam Navlakha under house arrest in connection with the Bhima Koregaon riots of 2018, the Delhi High Court ordered Vivek Agnihotri, Director of The Kashmir Files, to remain present before the Court on March 16.

Before the Division Bench of Justices Siddharth Mridul and Talwant Singh, Agnihotri offered an unequivocal apology. The Division Bench reviewed his affidavit and underlined that because the case was brought on its own initiative, Agnihotri should be present in court on the subsequent date of hearing.

Advertisement

Following the High Court’s decision to move ex-parte against Agnihotri, the online news source Swarajya, and Consulting Editor of Swarajya Anand Ranganathan for their disparaging remarks against Justice Muralidhar, Agnihotri issued an apology.

Agnihotri said in his affidavit that he had removed his tweets in which he made critical remarks against the judge.

Advertisement

Read Also: Bharat Jodo Yatra: Rahul Gandhi gives flying kiss while passing by BJP office in Rajasthan | WATCH

When the case was heard on Tuesday, Amicus Curiae Senior Advocate Arvind Nigam noted that Agnihotri’s argument might be incorrect because Twitter’s affidavit suggested that the microblogging platform, rather not the director, may have deleted Agnihotri’s tweets.

Earlier on November 19, in accordance with the Supreme Court’s ruling mandating that he be placed under house arrest, Navlakha was transferred from Taloja Central Prison to Navi Mumbai.

The National Investigation Agency was criticised by the Supreme Court on November 18 for disobeying its order from November 10 directing NIA to move activist Navlakha from Taloja Prison, where he was being held in connection with the Elgar Parishad Maoist links case, to the house specified by him within the following 24 hours.

The 73-year-old will live in the residence for the next month, but the bench of Justices K.M. Joseph and Hrishikesh Roy allowed NIA to install additional security measures, such as locking the hall grills and shutting the kitchen door leading to the departure point.

Babri demolition anniversary: Alert in Mathura after Hindu Mahasabha announces recitation of Hanuman Chalisa in Shahi Idgah mosque

Delhi High Court gives permission to 33 weeks pregnant woman to undergo abortion

Advertisement
Tags :
×